Skip to main content

Old drawings: Spinosaur!!!

These are really old, from when I was doing my Masters; one of them is actually dated, 6 June 2004. I was really into spinosaurs back then and I would spend some evenings drawing spinosaurs. One particular evening, instead of drawing life restorations or skull reconstructions, I had decided to draw all the known fossil materials - well, whatever figured material I could find at that time.

The above are my drawings of the preserved cranial and mandibular elements of Baryonyx walkeri and Suchomimus tenerensis that I could see from published figures. I based Baryonyx on a figure in Charig & Milner's chapter in the book Dinosaur Systematics: Approaches and Perspectives (Carpenter & Currie, eds) rather than the description, so the identification of the bones are according to that chapter. By that time I had already had a chance to observe the real Baryonyx material at the NHM, the "jugal" of which is accompanied by an updated label identifying it as an angular.  So even though it is shown in the position of the jugal here (as it was in Charig & Milner, 1990), I marked it as "?".  [Oops...I just realised I made a mistake...Charig & Milner (1990) actually figure this bone as a surangular, so this drawing is obviously not based on their figure...] Suchomimus here is basically just a copy of the figure in Sereno et al. (1998), but I did have to kind of make up to what extent each bone is preserved because Sereno et al. (1998) only figured the cranial and mandibular elements as part of a reconstruction. That's the drawback of Science or Nature papers; they are limited in space for detailed descriptions. And till this day I haven't had the chance to examine the real materials of Suchomimus, although I did have a chance to compare the cast replica of the premax-maxillary complex at the NHM to that of Baryonyx. I've never really appreciated the size difference until that moment; despite the similar morphology (some people even say they are congeneric) Suchomimus is indeed larger.


Now onto this next drawing. As evident from the caption, the top is the partial (but well preserved) skull of Irritator challengeri. I really like how the species name is a homage to Professor Challenger from Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World; I suppose one of the earliest depictions of a palaeontologist (or maybe a generic all-round scientist) in popular fiction. As an aside, it is well known that Professor Challenger was in fact Doyle's favourite character instead of Sherlock Holmes. The genus name Irritator is from 'irritation, the feelings the authors felt (understated here) when discovering that the snout had been artificially elongated' (p.5, Martill et al., 1996). Irritator has by far the most complete postorbital region of any spinosaur.

Which leads me to the second drawing above; a direct copy of the 'generalised baryonychid' from Rauhut (2003). Unlike the very famous and widely popularised image of Sereno et al. (1998), Rauhut's skull reconstruction of a 'baryonychid' (Baryonyx + Suchomimus) has the postorbital region based primarily on Irritator. Rauhut regarded the status of Spinosaurus aegyptiacus ambiguous and cautioned the use of Spinosauridae and instead preferred to use Baryonychidae. Dal Sasso et al. (2005) however regard Spinosaurus aegyptiacus as a valid genus and use the family name Spinosauridae instead of Baryonychidae.

This last drawing is my skull reconstruction of Spinosaurus ('04 version) - pre Dal Sasso et al. (2005). I can't remember how much of it is my original interpretation and how much of it is ripped off of someone else's work. But it is obvious that I was heavily influenced by an article by Berislav Krzic in the now out of press Japanese dinosaur magazine Dino Press. This is most evident in my depiction of the external nares and the antorbital fenestra; they are similar to those depicted in Krzic's illustration.  Of course this reconstruction of the antorbital fenestra is probably not correct in light of more recent evidence. The postorbital region looks like I just took Irritator and changed the proportions a bit...so ends up with a more gracile looking Spinosaurus than that reconstructed recently.

I don't think any of my other old dinosaur drawings are good enough to be featured on the web, lest I humiliate myself ;)  So my next post will be on another old drawing that I thought was kind of funny but it won't be a dinosaur nor will it be anything palaeo, I'm afraid.  But should be fun nonetheless...


References:
Charig, A.J. & Milner, A.C., 1990. The systematic position of Baryonyx walkeri, in the light of Gauthier's reclassification of the Theropoda. in Carpenter, K. & Currie, P.J. (eds), Dinosaur Systematics: approaches and perspectives. Pp. 127-140.

Dal Sasso, C., et al., 2005. New information on the skull of the enigmatic theropod Spinosaurus, with remarks on its size and affinities. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 25: 888-896.

Martill, D.M., et al., 1996. A new crested maniraptoran dinosaur from the Santana Formation (Lower Cretaceous) of Brazil. Journal of the Geological Society, 153: 5-8.

Rauhut, O.W.M., 2003. The interrelationships and evolution of basal theropod dinosaurs. Special Papers in Palaeontology69: 3-213.

Sereno, P.C., et al., 1998. A long-snouted predatory dinosaur from Africa and the evolution of spinosaurids. Science 282: 1298-1302.

Comments

Very nice, Manabu. Didn't know you were interested in spinosaurids when you were in Bristol. (It's a shame, we would have had many conversation on those animals two years ago!). I would be very happy to display your drawings on my website. Would you agree to send them to me in high resolution format?

Regards,

C.
James said…
I really like the skull drawings. I could never draw one that accurate

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between Lion and Tiger skulls

A quick divergence from my usual dinosaurs, and I shall talk about big cats today. This is because to my greatest delight, I had discovered today a wonderful book. It is called The Felidæ of Rancho La Brea (Merriam and Stock 1932, Carnegie Institution of Washington publication, no. 422). As the title suggests it goes into details of felids from the Rancho La Brea, in particular Smilodon californicus (probably synonymous with S. fatalis ), but also the American Cave Lion, Panthera atrox . The book is full of detailed descriptions, numerous measurements and beautiful figures. However, what really got me excited was, in their description and comparative anatomy of P. atrox , Merriam and Stock (1932) provide identification criteria for the Lion and Tiger, a translation of the one devised by the French palaeontologist Marcelin Boule in 1906. I have forever been looking for a set of rules for identifying lions and tigers and ultimately had to come up with a set of my own with a lot of help

R for beginners and intermediate users 3: plotting with colours

For my third post on my R tutorials for beginners and intermediate users, I shall finally touch on the subject matter that prompted me to start these tutorials - plotting with group structures in colour. If you are familiar with R, then you may have noticed that assigning group structure is not all that straightforward. You can have a dataset that may have a column specifically for group structure such as this: B0 B1 B2 Family Acrocanthosaurus 0.308 -0.00329 3.28E-05 Allosauroidea Allosaurus 0.302 -0.00285 2.04E-05 Allosauroidea Archaeopteryx 0.142 -0.000871 2.98E-06 Aves Bambiraptor 0.182 -0.00161 1.10E-05 Dromaeosauridae Baryonychid 0.189 -0.00238 2.20E-05 Basal_Tetanurae Carcharodontosaurus 0.369 -0.00502 5.82E-05 Allosauroidea Carnotaurus 0.312 -0.00324 2.94E-05 Neoceratosauria Ceratosaurus 0.377 -0.00522 6.07E-05 Neoceratosauria Citipati 0.278 -0.00119 5.08E-06 Ovir

Hind limb proportions do not support the validity of Nanotyrannus

While it was not the main focus of their paper, Persons and Currie (2016) , in a recent paper in Scientific Reports hinted at the possibility of Nanotyrannus lancensis being a valid taxon distinct from Tyrannosaurus rex , using deviations from a regression model of lower leg length on femur length. Similar to encephalisation quotients , Persons and Currie devised a score (cursorial-limb-proportion; CLP) based on the difference between the observed lower leg length and the predicted lower leg length (from a regression model) expressed as a percentage of the observed value. The idea behind this is pretty simple in that if the observed lower leg length value is higher than that predicted for its size (femur length), then that taxon gets a high CLP score. I don't particularly like this sort of data characterisation (a straightforward regression [albeit with phylogeny, e.g. pGLS] would do the job well), but nonetheless, Persons and Currie found that when applied to Nanotyrannus , it